Sunday, August 3, 2008

8/3 ~ A Day in the City!

Talk about easy going.  Is this really a mission trip?  We woke up, had some breakfast, participated in a worship service and than headed off to New Orleans.  Dan and I headed to the airport (with a little getting lost in the middle) to pick up Amy and Nick Sellke (fresh from Europe) and than headed to the French Quarter.  What a different world with voodoo, taro cards, palm readers, and than the church right in the middle of it all.  Sad to see the devastation in some areas but neat to see the vibrant streets in others.

Sort of getting antsy waiting to get to work.  I guess I am not doing a good job preparing myself for the week ahead.  I would hope I can slow down, listen, think and contemplate on the graces God is giving me in all situations... even the bad ones.

The sermon today was on the rich young ruler who was still holding on to his riches even though Jesus told him to let go.  What am I holding on to?  I can't think of anything materialistically speaking.  What I am holding onto is security.  I don't allow myself to count on God for security but instead to count on what God has given me (my possessions).  I don't really understand what this means but that's what comes to mind right now.  Perhaps I'll hammer this out through the rest of this week.

-Jeff Carnes

No comments: